Subject: [Leica] Re: Xtol ramblings
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 14:19:26 -0500

> Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 08:40:40 -0700
> From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
> Subject: [Leica] Xtol ramblings
> The bit you quoted does not say that. It did say that if Xtol is stored for
> longer than six months, there may be problems with diluted solutions of 1:2
> or 1:3. Whether this is actually a problem depends on your methods and
> chemical consumption.
>
> John Collier

Hi John,

Kodak says it did more extensive testing of Xtol before introduction
than any similar product in the company's history. This included, for
the first time, testing in rotary processors and publishing the
development times for those as well as for traditional developing methods.

On that basis, when the company withdraws a recommendation I think it is
reasonable to take a negative inference as I don't believe it is
something they would do lightly. I don't think it is unreasonable to
consider a withdrawn recommendation to be a defacto recommendation
against the practice.

If 1:3 dilution works for you, then fine. Indeed, Kodak has probably
built in some safety margin to account for the differing quality of
local water, etc. But I think it's silly to dismiss the manufacturers
recommendations (or lack thereof) out of hand -- both with respect to
the minimum stock needed per roll and with respect to maximum dilution.

Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com