Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica/Arca Survey
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 17:22:51 -0800

I took a RRS square (R4-R7 winder) plate and cut it in half (just behind
the RapidWinder lever,) filed the edges round and smooth and mounted it on
my RapidWinder. Use the half with the lip which hooks over the edge of the
winder and keeps it from ever turning. And it is centered under the camera.
It works perfectly. There could not be a better solution.

Many times I carry a Gitzo 1228 with a Gitzo Center Ball or a B1 (both have
Arca clamps) over my shoulder via a Gitzo strap. I shoot both hand held
using the RapidWinder and on the tripod with the RapidWinder lever folded.
Without having to mount or dismount a plate. The half plate is unobtrusive
and never in the way. You simply don't know it's there until needed.

Jim