Subject: Re: [Leica] More Efke KB 25 in D23
From: "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 22:59:02 -0500

Bob,

I am at a bit of a loss too.  Water is one possible explanation since ours
is pretty hard.  We are on a private well so its straight out of the ground.
For most films the development times work out to be about 10% less than
recommended.  The Efke for some reason gets very contrasty and needs 30-50%
less with a couple of developers.  I just tried some Beutler 105 and used
the time for Neofin Blue.  Same result, unprintable on #1.  Fortunately
those were just tests. That developer should work with shorter times.

With the D-23 1:1 for 4 min with a 3 min. borax post-bath I'm getting about
an EI of 16.  The tones are very nice.  Sharpness may be suffering as Mark
said but its hard to tell with a Summitar hand-held.  Perversely I use my
better glass for high-speed film.

Shorter exposures are an option but I hate to lose the shadow detail or have
the highlights block up if I overexpose.

I'm wondering if there is some difference between the old and new batches.

Mike D