Subject: Re: [Leica] Minilux
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 11:52:19 -0800

Steve Unsworth wrote:

>I've just bought a Minilux (non-zoom) as a 'carry all the time' camera.

Congratulations! It is a wonderful pocket camera, I love mine.

>It
>didn't come with instructions, but I've worked most thing out. However I do
>have a few questions that hopefully someone is able to answer.
>
>Film speed - what is the range of ASA's that can be used?

DX range: 25-5000  If not DX coded, it uses 100

>Exposure override - I have to hold the button down for about 5 seconds
>before the camera can cycle through the +-2 stop range. I assume this is
>correct, but is this the only way to effectively alter film speed?

This is correct, a little cumbersome really. It holds that value after
power-down too, so be careful.

>Finally, the 'modes' seem pretty self explanatory, but is slow + flash? Errr
>a slow shutter speed with flash perhaps? If so what speed?

I believe it is not a fixed speed, just a slower program-picked speed.
 In practice, it tends to be about 1/30, or often longer.  I think it is
doing an auto-exposure with a weak flash output...

>Thanks in advance for any answers. I recently saw some A4 wet prints made
>with the Minilux and was blown away by the quality for a P&S camera.

Yes, it has an amazing lens.  My Minilux slides are consistently on par
with my Summilux 35 and Summicron 50 for contrast, saturation and
sharpness.  The prints I have made, B&W and color reversal, have been
fantastic though only 8 X 10

>I bought mine (Exc++ I guess) for 3600 French francs from a dealer, he gave
>me a date back (which I doubt that I'll use) and the electronic cable
>release (which I might). Would have preferred one in black, but you can't
>have everything I suppose.

The black paint does not last as well as you would like anyway ;)

- - marc

- --
***     Marc Attinasi     ***
* mailto: marc@attinasi.org *