Subject: [Leica] Sounds too good to be true
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 14:28:55 -0800

[If you reply, please reply to me directly as well as to the LUG (I get the
digest).]

This morning, I received an "unsolicited commercial email" from an outfit
known as FSL Media, Inc.  They claim to be selling OEM CDs of Photoshop 6.0
for--hold your breath--$39.95.  The CDs also include a bundle of other
Adobe titles.  You pay via PayPal.

Since PS 6 sells for about $600.00, this sounds suspicious.  Has anyone
dealt with this outfit before?  They claim that they are "liquidating
excess inventory" after an "overshipment."  They further state:

 >How can you sell this software so cheap? It seems too good to be true -
is there a catch?

 > There is no catch - the software versions that we sell are OEM (Original
Equipment
 > Manufacturer) which means you will receive the installation CDs only
(they do not come in their
 > original retail packing and do not include the manual). We do guarantee
that all programs are
 > the 100% full working retail versions - no demos or academic versions!
When you order, you will > receive all materials required for a complete
installation - or your money back!

There's nothing about registration forms, so we don't know if the software
is registerable or not, or even if it's legal.

They have two email addresses, one on Yahoo (the email address referenced
in their link to Paypal), and one on Hotmail (return address).  Both
addresses use variants of their name, "FSL Media," rather than the usual
random letters and numbers that many spammers use.  Neither address
"bounced" when I set them test messages from a hotmail account. They have
been a verified Paypal member since Oct 2000, with 13 buyers.

If this offer is legitimate, it's very tempting.  However, I'm still
suspicious.  Does anyone know anything about this?

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com> (Re: [Leica] Sounds too good to be true)
Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Sounds too good to be true)