Subject: RE: [Leica] Is a Noctilux the Answer?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 20:04:38 -0500

I have noticed that there are a number of used Noctilux lenses for sale,
often they are in very good condition. So I was wondering why are people
selling them; is it because the lens did not meet their expectations?

Thanks,

Jim Norris

- --
People sell them, Jim, because they purchase them without asking the very
astute question you are asking - Is a Noctilux the answer? And they are also
not asking, 'what is the question.'

Yes, if you often shoot indoors in low light, and want to shoot at a faster
shutter speed by shooting at f 1 instead of 1.4, then perhaps a Noctilux is
the answer. But don't forget, as I believe someone may have pointed out,
that while subject blur won't be quite as much of a problem, lack of depth
of field will be. There are always trade-offs. The other big question, of
course, and I pose this one obviously knowing nothing about your finances,
is do you do enough of this kind of shooting to justify they outlay required
for a Noctilux - or would you be better of spending the same money on a 35
1.4 ASPH, which is far more useful on a day in, day out basis, or, if it
suits your shooting style, on a 75 1.4?

B. D.