Subject: [Leica] Is a Noctilux the Answer?
From: "Michael Waldron" <mwaldron@cadogan.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:03:20 -0500

I once rented a Noctilux, but decided it wasn't for me.  I often find indoor low lighting tricky, becuase there is often very low contrast on people, but high contrast due to lights in the background.  I found it necessary to push the film about N+2 in zone terms, just to get enough contrast.  You then get more grain and lose some micro-contrast.  Flash stuff like Mark Rabiner's cigar short show the benefits of a strobe -- you get good modelling, detail and contrast.

When doing things with a lot of people, I now have one camera with an auto flash strong enough to be at f11 held on a bracket off the camera.  This is like a wedding setup.  I don't need to worry about exposure or focus with a 35!  Excellent P&S.  The other camera is without strobe +1 or +2 depending on lighting.

Michael Waldron