Subject: [Leica] if nobody's posted this -- anthrax irradiation damages
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 23:04:53 -0500

>"Testing has confirmed that these systems, damage not only
>semiconductors, but other goods as well, including pharmaceuticals,
>contact lenses, biological samples, and photographic film,"

Let's be realistic. Just how widespread do you think this practice
really is? I work for a government agency and obviously our mail is
zapped. The Post Office is very upfront about this. Not only does the
treated mail carry a large red stamp that says "IRRADIATED," they also
gave us the same warning you just posted.

Now, on the other hand, my mail at home is not marked and shows no signs
of special treatment. I live less than 2 miles from the Brentwood Road
sorting facility that suffered the anthrax fatalities. As far as I know,
my mail still goes through there but none of it has ever shown any sign
of any special treatment at all. If my home mail isn't being irradiated,
then I think it's pretty unlikely that anyone else's on this list is
being zapped either. So until you start seeing that stamp, or until the
Post Office says otherwise, why be paranoid?.

Simon Stevens
Washington, DC

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: if nobody's posted this -- anthrax irradiation damages)