Subject: Re: [Leica] Leni Riefenstahl Site
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:56:05 EST

In a message dated 1/10/02 10:19:10 AM, tim@KairosPhoto.com writes:

<< It is interesting how many of the big industrialists and business people
who

were closely identified with the Nazi Party and who kept the Nazi war

machine and coffers afloat, were allowed to be "rehabilitated" after a short

while following and continue doing what they always did. Many a lot older

and more mature at the time of their "misguided association" with Hitler et

al. Whereas Riefenstahl has never been allowed to do this.

Why is this so?

Tim A >>

My two cents....

Money folks typically get off easier than others, and respectible money folks
(cultured businessmen types) better still.  This is why crack dealers in
Florida (or fill in your favourite state) can spend 10-20 years in jail and
Enron executives get off-shore accounts and perhaps a stay at Club Fed.

In the U.S. Prescott Bush was in the banking mix with Nazi financier, Fritz
Thyssen.  Union Bank was basically a money-laundering machine for Nazi money
that never ceased operating even after WWII started.  Finally in 1942 (or
maybe 1943) the Bank's shares were seized by the US government, under the US
Trading with the Enemy act.  (For some interesting reading, check out "The
Splendid Blonde Beast" or "Blowback" both written by Christopher Simpson,
which talks about the US Nazi connections both before and definately after
the war).

In any event, Prescott Bush's involvement with the Nazis was a moot issue as
he went on to become a state senator, his son President and his
grandson...well, you know.

As for art, I've never been knocked out by Leni Riefsenstahl's work.  I far
preferred George Hurrell or William Walling for staged portrait art of that
era.  Nevertheless I think it's perfectly fine to study and analyze work of
folks like Reifenstahl.   Propaganda is most effective when penned by gifted
writers or visually crafted by talented photographers and filmakers.  That
was true in the 40's and is equally true now.

- -kim