Subject: [Leica] Mid life Crisis...
From: "tlianza" <tlianza@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:20:13 -0500

So, I'm sitting at the computer on the night of my last birthday in the 40's
and I thinking back on 36 years of photography and how much I have enjoyed
it.  I picked up an M6 and an M2 this year and it has been fun. Earlier that
day I was working on one of my old Nikon F's.  I tore it down to give it a
good cleaning and lubrication.  It occured to me that I got that camera 30
years ago and it was still one of my favorites.  I have a some new Nikon
stuf and I do love it.  The automation comes in handy sometimes, but the
Leica M2 always reminds me that I am the one dealing with the light and I do
like that.  I always have the M's with me.  They travel very well.  I was
thinking that I might get the new Nikon FM3 for a newer manual slr back up
but when I picked it up, "it" just didn't happen.  I did some research,
looked through Ghester Sartourius' book on Leica Cameras and I saw the R6
and it looked interesting.  I saw a unit on Ebay so I threw in a bid, while
I was scanning I saw a NIB R8.  I bid on that too.   Well now I own an R6
AND an R8. (I'm glad that both kid's college educations are paid off...)
Now I'll get a chance to see what Doug Herr and Mark Rabiner rave about....
The R lens prices (used) seem pretty reasonable (relative to the M) so now I
have something else to collect. I'd like some advice on lenses on the
telephoto side.  My thought was to hunt for an Apo 180 f2.8 elmarit and one
of the apo tele extenders  on the used market.  Any other suggestions.... My
plans for these cameras are outside.  Maybe some bird photography, or other
wild life.  I've got a lead on a bellows and 100mm macro so maybe I'll do
some macro work too.   The R8 is beautiful looking machine.  It will get
some use and it will also spend some time in the collection case....  I have
a feeling that the R6 is going to see some outside duty....and less time in
the case.

Take care all,

Tom Lianza
Technical Director