Subject: Re: [Leica] Leni Riefenstahl Site
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:56:37 -0500

You're absolutely right, Mark.  I'd forgotten Barbie, the Butcher of Lyon,
whom Gehlen employed with the full knowledge of his CIA handler (who, in
turn, published his own memoirs--in the '70s, I think--admitting to this
knowledge).  I can provide the title, but it's on the office computer, and
I'm at home.  If I recollect correctly, the CIA also pushed Barbie through
the so called "Rat Pipe," which facilitated the escape of former SS/CIA
employees from Germany to various countries in Latin America.  I'm pretty
certain that all of this was reported during Barbie's trial, but there's
additional scholarship that provides details.

For what it's worth, I taught a course on the history of espionage last
spring;  I've got a pretty good bibliography of relevant materials.

Chandos