Subject: Re: [Leica] 180/2.8 Tele-Elmarit
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:05:10 -0500

At 11:54 AM 1/12/02 -0700, Greg J. Lorenzo wrote:
>I wasn't quoting Erwin or I would have said "I  am quoting from Erwin
>Puts Leica Lens Compendium here" and used quotation marks. I did answer
>the original poster's question on good reference sources and expressed
>my own opinion on why I thought Leitz dropped this lens like a hot potato.

Well, what you wrote was that Erwin stated that the lens was a dog
optically.  What Erwin actually says on p. 186 is:

- ----------------------
The short lived Tele-Elmarit 1:2.8/180mm (1965) was a Schneider design.
Schneider not only provided the wide angles but also produced parts the
Elmarit 90mm lenses.  What exactly was the intention for this lens is
unclear.  The design, with its characteristic construction of a cemented
group of three elements in the middle, is a close derivative of the Zeiss
Sonnar 1:2.8/180mm, of Olympics 1936 fame.  This resemblance, and the lower
quality of this lens (an appraisal based in this case on the constructional
details) might be responsible for the vanishing act.
- ---------------------

Note that Erwin expressly states that he has not actually tested one of
these lenses and bases his statement of "lower quality" simply from
analyzing its layout.  He certainly does not state that the lens was of
poor quality but just that it was of "lower quality", though he fails to
tell us the referent for this comparative, so we are left a bit in the dark.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Message from "SML" <inyoung@jps.net> (Re: [Leica] 180/2.8 Tele-Elmarit)