Subject: [Leica] Re:Somehow we got around to slagging the TTL
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 14:04:55 -0500

> Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 08:59:42 -0700
> From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
> Subject: [Leica] Somehow we got around to slagging the TTL
> I actually held off buying a new Leica until the TTL came out. The meter
> display of the TTL is much superior than the "match the brightness of the
> diodes" system in the M6 classic. The meter works quickly and positively
> regardless of the lighting conditions. The fact the shutter dial is larger
> is a plus in my opinion and the changed direction of travel does not bother
> me. The only modification I made was to fit a M2/3 style advance lever as it
> allows me to use the lever easily even if a finder or flash is fitted.
>
> John Collier

John,

As I noted in my post, I too have a TTL, so I'm not slagging it.

But I also have to note that the things you are praising have nothing to
do with the camera's TTL-ness. ;-).

I'm not sure what you mean by "match the brightness of the diodes" on
the classic. On mine, the only difference between the classic and TTL is
that the TTL has a middle diode in addition to the left and right
diodes. Is that "much superior"? I don't think it really matters much in
practice. I understand the TTL's meter is more sensitive as well, which
does represent progress I guess (although I can't rememeber once running
out of meter sensitivity in the ten years I've owned the classic).

Rolfe Tessem