Subject: [Leica] Re: NEW M7 MAJOR CROCK-POT CROW PARMESAN
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:35:38 -0500

> Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:09:51 -0500
> From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
> Subject: RE: [Leica] Re:  NEW M7 MAJOR CROCK-POT CROW PARMESAN

B.D.,

I certainly don't think the M6 TTL is a "bad" camera. I own one; in fact
I own a black paint model, so how bad can it be? :-).

The point is, Leica is a small company with limited resoures. It *is*
important which areas the company focuses on, because it is not large
enough to focus on everything.

To the extent that the company devotes a lot of resources to putting TTL
flash capability into an M camera, it means they are not putting
resources into somthing that I, and perhaps many, would consider more a
more useful allocation of their efforts.

At the moment, my 40 year old M3 gives me just about the same
functionality as my M6 or M6TTL. Actually more, since it can sync with
flashbulbs and has a better viewfinder. :-)

That 40-50 year life, which is built into the price of new Leicas, will
go away as more electronic functionality is built into the cameras. Does
this matter? Perhaps not. I don't expect my R8 to be usable 50 years
from now. But the M cameras do have this heritage and therefore this
expectation.

While you might use the TTL flash metering capability of the M6 TTL
occasionally, as I do, no professional in his/her right mind would use
it on on a real job that really required this capability for the
successful completion of the assignment. You'd be too worried that that
the 1/50th sync speed just wouldn't let you get the shot. There are a
multitude of cameras out there, including the R8, that would be better
choices and you would use one of those.

One other thought on TTL flash: this is really a simple-minded
technology that is limited to a single on-camera or possibly a single
off-camera flash. I think it was probably designed with wedding
photographers in mind. Once you get into any kind of multiple light
setup, the TTL stuff is useless anyway. You just have to meter the flash
  and do it the old-fashioned way.

Sometimes, less is more.

- --
Rolfe Tessem