Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: To crop or not to crop
From: "Tom Furlotte" <tfurlott@midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:17:48 -0600

Sonny et al.,
  The first time I happened up the "do not crop" notion was in the Art galleries selling
photographs.  This was where I saw the first images printed with the filed-out negative carrier to
give the black border and , later, showing the sprockets or edgeprinting on the negatives as part of
the image. I suppose the intent was to claim this is the way the artist saw it and intended the
image to be.
   But the art world is different from the real world I was trained in.  Photojournalism and
Advertising use pictures to tell a story.  Sometimes a very specific story.  Images are cropped  to
eliminate things that distract from the story.  News (and street photos,too) capture fleeting
experiences that don't allow for much compositional control.
   Cropping is a tool to use or not use.  The image is yours to interpret. And if someone tells you
an element is distracting to the image you are free to agree or not.  But if you are trying to sell
this image to that person you had better crop it.
 Just my  2 cents, YMMV.

Tom Furlotte
Memphis, Tennessee

Replies: Reply from "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com> (Re: [Leica] To Crop or not . . . SonC's PAW week 2)