Subject: [Leica] Cropping and theoretical purity was: New DAS PAW #3 and galleries
From: "dante@umich.edu" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:50:25 -0500

I'm not seeing the stripe, but the pipe is definitely intentional.  Mr.
Freud might be able to verbalize it better.  Follow it.

I'd love to participate in the cropping discussion - but I have different
cropping priorities: like cropping the Section  8 housing from down the
street, cropping out a large part of the right side of my taxes, cropping
out the dings in the left rear door of my car, cropping bigotry out of local
politics.

In all seriousness, the cropping issue is one my father explained to me like
this: it is insanely easy to crop the bad part out of a picture; it is
insanely hard to take a crop-free picture in the first place.  Burning and
dodging is in the same class.

My general idea is that if it can't be printed with approximately the right
composition and approximately the right overall exposure by a minilab run by
trained spider monkeys, you need to be more disciplined in the shooting!

Dante