Subject: Re: [Leica] Eric's PAW
From: "Richard Ogden" <richard@pr23ss.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:20:31 -0000

Eric,

I like them too - what a happy character!

It's hard to know what it might have been possible to do differently, given
that you're dealing with fleeting expressions on a child who's too young to
understand directions and probably - if my memories of similar situations
with my own youngsters are anything to go by - in pretty tight surroundings
where you usually can't move things around easily. In week 1 main, I find
the out of focus bar just a bit too intrusive, and would have liked to try
to shoot from a slightly higher angle from slightly to the right, not so
much that you lose the sense of being on the child's level, but just to
lower the bar in the frame somewhat. Week 1 alt is fine as it is - lost in a
world of his own while the cat makes a warm, soft pillow! The directional
light in Week 2 main is a bit strong for a baby portrait I think, and
combined with the wide eyes somehow makes him look a bit startled. Week 2
alt captures a very typical moment - the lady on the right could, perhaps,
have been a bit closer in.

However, these are not formal, posed pictures, nor should they be, and you
have to take them as you find them -- quickly! These pictures will grow in
value as the years pass, and their content will far outweigh any
compositional niceties.

Looks like you have the perfect subject for a Picture a Week!

Regards,
Richard
Richard Ogden
PAW Site: http://mysite.freeserve.com/paw2002/index.html