Subject: Re: [Leica] M Durability
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:25:15 -0700

The M3 and M2 cameras used a optical cement (Canadian Balsam?) that is not
as strong as what Leica uses today. Rangefinder separation and blackout from
knocks and bumps was a much more common problem with these cameras when they
were current than in the later cameras. Now, as the cement has deteriorated
over time, it is even more fragile. When they switched optical cements I do
not know.

John Collier