Subject: RE: [Leica] How to tell rangefinder separation?
From: Richard DeLuca <odyssey@spectra.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:37:50 -0500

>Richard, the separation affects the brightness and contrast of the
>rangefinder focussing patch.  When the patch gets dim enough, it can and
>probably will affect the ability to accurately focus to one extent or
>another.
>
>BK

Bob,

Okay, now I understand.  You know, I am feeling kind of sad about this.
This was my uncle's camera, and I borrowed it occasionally when I was in
college.  We were very close, and he knew how I loved using the Leica, so a
few years ago he just up and gave it to me, along with three lenses. As you
may well understand, it has great sentimental value.

Cosmetically it's still a beauty, and a wonderful picture-taker of course.
I treat it very respectfully (while my M6 is beginning to look pretty
rough).  But it saddens me that my uncle is gone now, and his wonderful
gift is beginning to show its age.

Not to fan the arguements any further, but I enjoy using this beast more
than my M6.  The M6 film advance has jammed on me twice in the ten years
I've owned it, and SURPRISE...at the worst possible times.  Once while on
vacation in Italy, and the other while photographing a wedding.
Fortunately at least at the wedding, I also had my trusty M3 with me.

I may retire my uncle's camera body, and use his DR/Summicron on my M6.
Yeah, I prefer that lens, too.

Thanks Again,
Rich