Subject: Re: [Leica] New article on travel tips.
From: "Peter Choy" <pmcchoy@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:20:37 -0800

Dante,

Good travel tips. I just spent the hols in Asia with family,
and made do quite nicely with a Hexar RF and 35mm VC Ultron.
That plus film, travel docs, airplane essentials etc. all fit
snugly into a Domke 803 satchel, which I ditched in the room
when out on walkabout.  My shoulders, back and family were grateful,
and it was liberating to be confined to one lens.  But you can't
please everybody:  in a laid-back fishing village on one of the
outer islands of Hong Kong, a local old-timer walked up and asked
if I had a Leica -- when he saw that it wasn't, he kind of snorted
and walked away.

rgds
Peter Choy.

P.S. The solo camera gambit is, as noted in other posts, also a gamble.
Not recommended for weddings.  Asia is full of dust, and is the spiritual
home of Murphy's law.  Once I had a CLE get jammed, and another time a IIIf
hung up on me.  Happily, each time I stopped in HK, which is one of the
better places on the planet to have dodgy old cameras fixed on the spot
(note to self:  don't rely solely on dodgy old cameras -- open mind to
using dodgy new cameras).