Subject: Re: [Leica] Marc Small's M3 - M6 explanation - LONG BUT WORTH IT
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:29:08 -0500

At 12:47 PM 1/17/02 EST, SthRosner@aol.com wrote:
>OK, friends, you want facts, here are the facts.

Thanks, Seth, for your full, and rather derogatory, response.

I believe we are speaking of two different eras.  My original posting was
limited to the period prior to the later 1960's;  your comments seem to be
directed at the very period I admitted was when the change occurred, thirty
years back.

In any event, my Leitz literature of the era is boxed and not readily
available and I am simply professionally swamped (surely, you recall those
days, when you were still practicing law, though you were not, from your
letter some years back, apparently ever a solo practitioner, where
everything must be dealt with by the lawyer and there are no hot-and-cold
running associates to whom you can throw files), so that I am not free to
access it without a couple of hours of effort which shall not be available
for some weeks.  But, trust me, in 1955, Leitz did suggest periodic CLA's
and did, for that reason, offer training to franchisees in Leitz camera and
gear repair.

I would be surprised if Jim Lager told you this was not the case.  I will
write him, when time allows, to see if he holds to that position -- and, if
he does, I will cheerfully put him in touch with folks who DID enjoy such
training.  I am surprised that an experienced and honored attorney such as
yourself so frequently resorts to anonymous tips from "those guys on the
telephone", but so you seem to do.  In the case of Jim's statements, I
strongly suspect you left a lot out of the discussion.  In any event, I
will write him so that a written record exists, and I will attempt to be
fair in my queries.

In any event, I would suggest that you and I quit sparring.  You have
nit-picked every major posting I have made on the LUG for some months, now.
 I have attempted to ignore your postings save when you begin attacking
those, such as Erwin, who frankly need no defense from me but whom, in the
interests of fairness, I choose to defend.

I doubt if you want me to repeat here the ridiculous letter you sent me
several years back threatening me with a defamation lawsuit.  I suggested
then, and repeat now, a suggestion that you renew your knowledge of
defamation law.  It would be in the best interests of this List that we
cease picking on each other and just ignore the presence of each other, as
Erwin has chosen to do.  (Erwin is much more the gentleman than I am, as
well as being much more the scholar.)

In other words, Seth.  Post what you might from here on, and I shall ignore
it.  I request the same courtesy from you.  I am entitled to hold my
thoughts in private of your command of Leica lore, and you are entitled to
hold your thoughts of mine.  But, as I am certain at least one of your Law
Professors told you, "don't get into a pissing contest with a skunk".  We
both can withdraw from this contest with honor, as we both can think ill
thoughts in private of the other.

Let us get on to important things.  Just remember:  if you disagree with my
postings, hold your peace.  If I disagree with yours, I will hold mine.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from "Dr. Elliot Puritz" <drpuritz@bellsouth.net> (Re: [Leica] Marc Small's M3 - M6 explanation - LONG BUT WORTH IT)