Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: HELP--someone wants to buy my pictures...
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:44:33 -0700

I believe lawyers for EP looked into this with their price calculator and
discussions on the EP list about pricing, because of the whole area of
anti-trust, forming a union and so on. (If I recall properly, they also
talked to the anti-trust people at Justice) Especially when a large
publication started to mutter about legal proceedings, justice dept.,
anti-trust because we were talking behind their back.

The short answer was it's perfectly legal, for all sorts of complicated
reasons... among them, I believe where: they were totally voluntary
guidelines, they merely provide a basis to begin negotiation with the
client, the client is not being forced to accept a certain price, the client
can have access to exactly the same information (in fact it is based on
information obtained from the clients...), many independent photographers
chose not to use them, the whole nature of the work of photographers as
individual contractors and so on...

I think the response of the Justice Dept. guys when faced with this query
and the issue of veiled threats of the "anti-trust bogie man from justice"
from some mega media corporation was - "ha ha ha.. you've got to be
kidding!". this was a couple of years or so ago. So my memory is a touch
fuzzy on it.

Tim A