Subject: Re: [Leica] leicas in the rain
From: Robert Stevens <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 22:12:51 -0400

Bob:

Fog and rain should be fine as long as you wipe off the camera before it
accumulates.  If it condenses inside the range finder window, it can
sometime leave it a bit fogged.  If it was the external part of the the
window the fog would just wipe off with a cloth.  To get it off the
interior of the window require a repairman to take the top cover of the
camera off.

If you are going to use it on a boat, try to keep the salt water off the
camera.  A famous photographer named Sharon Greene, that shoots
sailing,  has a technique for keeping the camera dry.  She has a large Iglo
cooler that the camera stays in.  When she gets to the spot she wants to
shoot from she has her driver come to a stop and then she takes the camera
out of the cooler.  Before he puts the boat in gear she puts the camera
back into the cooler.  I have shot sailing events with an R8 and 400 2.8
using this technique.  A big cooler will fit this setup along with an
attached but folded up monopod.  My first attempt at this is at the link below.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/RNSYS/Wandrain-1.jpg

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/Sailing.htm

If you take a camera on a boat that is moving, expect it to get wet.  Buy a
Nikonos or a disposable if you want a camera for happy snaps while out on
the boat.  One good salt water wave will ruin an electronic camera.  For
mechanical cameras such as a Leica, it still means an expensive repair bill.

Regards,

Robert