Subject: [Leica] OT: fishing for X.509 expertise
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 21:34:28 -0800

This is "on topic" because I need the answer to this question as part of
the next-generation LUG server I am building. Please don't waste your time
reading this unless you have RSA X.509 experience.

I need to find an X.509 guru to help me understand how to:

  * Remove a password from a signed certificate. I know the pw.  There must
be some set of options to the openssl command that will do this, but I
can't find them.

  * Make a web page that will download a CA cert into IE.

  * Find a CA that is known to IE that will issue me a cert without my
having to pay a fortune every year. The cheapest commercial 128-bit certs
I've found are $700 from Thawte.

Right now I have a self-signed cert on https://server2.waverley.reid.org/
and most versions of IE are pretty unhappy with it. I am offended by the
politics behind this IE behavior, but I can't afford to let that emotion
interfere with my quest for a solution.

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: fishing for X.509 expertise)