Subject: Re: [Leica] xtol results?
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 12:12:10 -0500

Marc-
My limited experience with Xtol reminded me of my first encounter with
Kodak's Microdol -X many years ago where the soft looking brown images on
the film belied the true nature of the negatives.
That and the fact that many of the newer thinner emulsion films LOOK thin,
but actually are quite printable/scanable- a trompe d'oeul (sic) that can
perplex you at first!! :o)
I think the flat crystal technology makes a lot of lore about what a good
negative  should look like pretty much moot. I recall seeing a shot of Ansel
Adams holding one of his negatives up, examining what to me looked to be a
completely black sheet of 8x10 film. I had heard that his negatives were
very dense. So it is on the one hand, a matter of taste to a certain extent,
and a matter of the results you get from you negatives.... can we say-
latitude?
Good Luck- hope we see some of the results so we can pontificate further!
Dan