Subject: [Leica] OT Redneck
From: "rp johnson" <rpjohnson2@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:17:54 -0800

> I understand the term "redneck," btw, came from a description of the red
> scarves worn by Scots who fought on the side of the South in the
> War Between
> the States.

Colorful.  It is also from the sunburned necks of rural laborers.  True
"gentlefolk" wore higher collars and did not spend that much time in the
sun (especially stooped over in the field).  It is easier to find a short
descriptive phrase for the red neck than the white band above the eyes from
wearing a hat in the sun (see how long that was).

RP Johnson