Subject: Re: [Leica] ghhh... [Contax G2 versus Leica M] - well?????????
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:06:05 -0800

I cannot speak for anyone else, but here is how I compare the G to the M
- - both take fantastic pics - the Zeiss and Leica optics are quite nice
and nearly (arguably) equals.  The G is slow and clunky, the M
instantaneous and elegant.  The lens choice for the M is much larger,
and there are some nice fast lenses, which the G lacks.

Overall, if you want a rangefinder there is no comparison - the M is the
clear winner. Bigger, brighter view, fast manual focusing, simplicity
and freedom from batteries. If you want an interchangeable lens AF
camera that is kinda like a rangefinder, with exposure automation, then
the G wins - no race really.

Personally, I find no use for the G so I don't own one. I have other
point and shoots that are nearly as good, smaller and faster, and less
expensive.  Other people love the G - I know one guy who sold is M4 to
guy a G2 and lenses - try one out and see what you think.  Just trying
ti in the showroom for 15 minutes will tell you a lot!

- - marc