Subject: Re: [Leica] Fuji Neopan 1600: Resofine and Xtol
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:55:16 -0800

Gareth Jolly wrote:

> I'm about to embark on another a low light documentary project using my
> trusty M6.
>
> I did a jazz project last year, using Tri-X developed in Xtol 1:3.
>
> For this project, I've been thinking of using Fuji Neopan.  In the jazz
> project, I found that the midtones and highlights tended to overdevelop in
> Xtol - at least using the recommended developing times.
>
><Snip>

It seems you are thinking that if the developer film combination gives
an over developed neg it has failed you then you switch developers?

If you made a pot of coffee one morning which as too strong would you
switch brands?
Or next morning put a scoop less in?
Me I'd put a scoop less in I'm too lazy to go to the darn grocery store.

There is nothing UN sacred about developing 10 minutes when it says on a
chart that the recommended time is 12.
You are thinking it doesn't work at 12 minutes it doesn't work at all?
There are so many variations in developing it is not funny. The water,
the temperature (your thermometer) your agitation technique, whether you
presoak or not, sunspots, full moon, eye of newt…

I was shooting Tri x a few years ago. I've since gone to Delta 400 and
then now to Neopan 400 in the same developer and dilution.
For my 400 speed films. I also use a lot of Neopan 1600 and 100.
I used to use Neopan only in 1600 - the rest Delta.

I've gone Neo.

"The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will
find you if you want it to."

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com