Subject: [Leica] Fuji Neopan 1600
From: "Gareth Jolly" <Gareth.Jolly@btopenworld.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 00:03:31 -0000

Mark Rabiner wrote:

>It seems you are thinking that if the developer film combination gives
>an over developed neg it has failed you then you switch developers?

>If you made a pot of coffee one morning which as too strong would you
>switch brands?
>Or next morning put a scoop less in?
>Me I'd put a scoop less in I'm too lazy to go to the darn grocery store.

>There is nothing UN sacred about developing 10 minutes when it says on a
>chart that the recommended time is 12.
>You are thinking it doesn't work at 12 minutes it doesn't work at all?
>There are so many variations in developing it is not funny. The water,
>the temperature (your thermometer) your agitation technique, whether you
>presoak or not, sunspots, full moon, eye of newt.

Agreed, Mark.  My instinctive preference would be to use Xtol, with reduced
development time.

But, I'm taking 6 months off at the moment and am doing a photodocumentary
course.  The teacher has recommended Resofine for Neopan 1600 in lowlight.
While my gut says go with Xtol, that might defeat the purpose of trying out
new things with a course.  You never know - they might lead you to
something.  And I have no idea how 2 bath developers work in practice.  So
it might be an interesting experiment.

On another topic, a representative of the manufacturer queries using Neopan
on the basis of its "flat" responsiveness.   Anybody have any comments on
this?

Thanks
Gareth Jolly

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Fuji Neopan 1600)