Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: MORE xtol results...
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:14:56 -0800

John Straus wrote:

>Well I'm glad you had success but you changed so many variables how do you
>really know that you just under developed??? I'm still interested to see if
>more development will help a push processed roll in xtol...

I looked back at an early XTOL pdf that had 1:3 dilutions and found part
of my problem: 120 film requires longer development than 35mm, even in
small tanks (I'm testing with 120 film)! That was not something that I
expected.  Also, my temp was a little cooler than I though, 65 F instead
of 67 F.  So, the Kodak docs suggest 15 minutes for TMAX 400 at 400, 120
format, in 1:3 dilution at 68 F - I ran it at 17minutes due to the
cooler 65 F ambient temp here.

Results? Excellent! I like it very much - great shadow detail, super
sharpness, decent highlights and a smooth overall tonality.  I canot
tell what the grain looks like yet, but I'm a happy diluted-XTOL-user now.

I don't have a pushed roll to try tonight, but I may try one later this
week just for fun - I'll post the results.  Funny thing - the Kodak docs
sugget that XTOL is excellent for push-processing, and they give times
for TMAX 400 up to 1600, at straight stock and diluted. Hmm.

Thanks again,
- - marc

- --
***     Marc Attinasi     ***