Subject: RE: [Leica] [OT] Monitor Res...what do you use? 800x600 or Higher ???
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 07:32:09 -0800

In a prior life I was the Marketing Director for a large, well known Imaging
company.....I got a pretty good basis on this issue.....at least for Wintel
platforms.  Tina stats do not surprise me... roughly 80% use 1024 x768 or
800x600 when viesing her site.

The problem with large resolution displays is simple.. you can;t read the
type.  At somewhere around 1024x768 ( also called 10x8) on a 17 inch
monitor, the type becomes so small that reading it produces eye strain at
normal reading distance.  Yes, you can make your mionitor use largere fonts,
but then your programs send that larger font as well.  ie, if you want
bigger fonts on YOUR screen, like 14 point, then when you send ME a email or
type a letter, the sent type is also 14 point, which is really too big for
any business cause.

SO why not get a larger monitor?  Because the monitors are deep, and the
depth of a 19 inch monitor is so great, that most people, in most
situations, do not have the desk depth to handle the larger monitors.

Why not get a LCD monitor and solve the depth problem?  Pure and simple..
$$$$

Finally, I think WIndows sets itself up as 800x600 right out of the box...
and most folk never bother to reset their computers for higher
resolution.....

One last comment.....  Notebook computers have a limited resolution, as
defined by their LCD displays.  Most top out at 1024x768, for the same
reasons.  Ever try to read 10 point type in a 1280x1024 LCD display?  Ain;t
pretty.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net