Subject: Re: [Leica] A modest PAW this week
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:03:10 -0800

On 1/22/02 at 10:47 AM, DAVISON_M@msn.com (Mark Davison) thoughtfully wrote:

> http://not.contaxg.com/document.php?id=571
>
> A still-life study, raindrops on a window. I took a number of pictures of
> the rain on my window, trying to convey the cool elegance of the drops.
> Tried various cameras, lenses, points of view, but this moderate closeup
> taken with my Bronica medium format camera seemed to give the best balance
> between abstract geometry and mood.  The Leica M shots were too far away
> (drops too small). Also, the Bronica wide open gives a nice creamy OOF
> treatment of the background behind the window (which is itself a window.)

Thanks for your image, Mark.

I definately enjoy it but my first impression was a desire for sharper deep
background image rather than the VERY soft one you have chosen. After looking at
the image a while I found myself fascinated by what was going on within the
drops themselves and wanted to see THAT image along with a sharper background.
But that would be a totally different image than the one you photographed.

I love the sight and sound of raindrops on the window. Alas, new house design
and energy conservation dictates large overhangs so I never see or hear it
anymore. So your image is very evocative for me on several levels.

Hmmm...looking at even more....I see the central triangle of drops with a
relatively open interior....which seems a bit weak to me. And I see the slightly
of-center nature of the background's blurred image.

A fun project for a rainy afternoon.

Thanks!

Adam Bridge