Subject: Re: [Leica] Success crisis
From: "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:15:33 -0600

I'm not at all interested in a critique sub-list for PAW. For me, the
purpose of the PAW is not in critiquing...it's simply for showing and
looking. Often I see images in the various PAWs that warrent comment of some
nature. Many do not. If I feel particularly moved by an image I will
comment, otherwise I assume the shooter will continue photographing,
continue posting and the world will continue spinning...whether I comment or
not.

I think by the time we purchase Leicas, build our darkrooms, calibrate our
systems, process our own film or find a decent lab, build a web site, scan
and post images we're deep enough into it to have a pretty good idea if an
image is stong or not. I'm certainly not qualified to be a critiquer other
than to say what I like and don't like. And I pretty much assume any
photographer can look at his/her work and see where it is strong and where
it is weak long before I point it out to them. Maybe I am incorrect in
that...but I can say it is true for me of my own work.

So...if the PAW is to become a critique-based project sub list, I'm not
interested. The spirit of the project, as I understood it, was simply to
show off the fact that our high-end gear was actually seeing film...........
Lea