Subject: Re: [Leica] Proper Peanut butter??
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:33:00 +0100

Doug and others,

I am actually American (albeit naturalized), have lived in the States for many
years, and am perfectly familiar with WalMart's business strategy. I had no
intention of starting a discussion about the merits of large suburban shops vs.
the Main Street. While I do agree that WalMark and suburban malls in general
have done some damage to many U.S. towns, the situation is quite different in
Europe. The biggest difference is that in most European cities and towns there
is a large middle class population living in the city center. That will always
ensure a certain vitality, no matter how many WalMarts are built on the
outskirts. By contrast, in many U.S. cities the only people you will see
downtown after working hours are the homeless and the poor. When I lived in
Tampa in the late 80s, most downtown department stores closed at 5 p.m. (a
ridiculously early time by U.S. standards) because that is when the office
workers went home to the suburbs.

Anyway, I just posted a picture of some shopping carts...

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland