Subject: [Leica] Speaking of Xtol
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:32:15 -0800

One year ago I mixed a five liter package of Xtol. I put it in a Kodak 5
liter plastic bottle.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/chemistry/bottles/storageBottles.jhtml

and used 1.5 liters of it immediately.

The bottle sat under my darkroom sink since then - one year. Yesterday, I
was rummaging around under my sink and found the 5 liter bottle of Xtol
containing 3.5 liters. I decided to test it. I poured a few ml into a small
beaker and put a strip of film in it. Within three minutes, the strip was
black. This told me that the developer was still working. I shot a quick
roll of Tri-X, mixed it 1:3 (62.5 ml Xtol to 187.5 ml water) and guess
what... I is still perfectly good.

This is pretty good stuff!

Jim