Subject: [Leica] OT: Paypal warning
From: "Tom Lianza" <tlianza@sequelimaging.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:13:24 -0500

I have done well over a hundred paypal transactions, both as a seller and
buyer,  all over the world with no problems.  The problem comes with either
a dishonest seller or a dishonest buyer.  This manefests itself in the same
manner as anyother credit card transaction.  I am very leary of sellers that
don't accept paypal, in those cases, I use a Postal Money Order to pay.  If
I get cheated there, it is a federal crime and in theory the postal
inspectors office handles it.  Any credit card transaction favors the buyer,
not the seller.  What paypal has done is to expose a very large group of
people to the same type of liability that common merchants face every day.
This has opened the eyes for many people who have been "stiffed" just like
so many merchants have on credit card sales.  If you choose to not take
credit cards, your sales might be lower and there is still no gurantee that
you won't be dealing with some like the Ebay or another site that you use
for sales, in the case of misuderstanding.

If you are accepting money from Paypal, just be sure who you are dealing
with.  Ebay's feedback mechanism has always worked for me.  I just look the
buyer and state my preferences.  Many sellers state in their ads that they
will not sell to people with limited or negative feedback.  Some who is
selling can always stop the auction prior to the end, if there is any
discomfort about the outcome.

Tom Lianza
Technical Director
Sequel Imaging Inc.