Subject: Re: [Leica] a street ready M3?
From: John Hicks <jhicks31@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 01:34:31 -0500

At 09:30 PM 1/25/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Weird loading system? (can be updated?)

  Can be fitted with a "quickload kit." In my experience it was more like a
can't-be-loaded kit. Can be fitted with an M4-style takeup spool? I think
so, but big bucks. Otherwise, you hold the body with one hand, the film
roll with the other hand, the baseplate with the other hand and the takeup
spool with the other hand.

>Annoying rewind knob (add one of those doohickys that make it faster - are
>they still available)

  Very annoyingly slow.

>Later M rewind lever (is this more useful...)

  You mean wind lever? Well, the later one won't wear a hole in your thumb.

>also - single/double stroke?  serial#/age to go for..?

  Well...I'd go for 1 mil serial # or so, with the DOF indicators in the
viewfinder, "modern" shutter speeds and the larger-diameter stronger rewind
shaft.
  I got my first M3 about 30 years ago, and I've had several of earlier and
later vintages; imho the M4 was a _far_ better camera ergonomically. Sure
the M3 is wonderfully jewel-like precise and beautiful...but to me that's
beside the point.
  Why exactly do you want an M3?

John Hicks
jhicks31@bellsouth.net