Subject: Re: [Leica] a street ready M3?
From: Steve Patriquen <patriquen@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 17:57:23 +0000

My $0.02

>> Weird loading system? (can be updated?)
>>
> Yes DAG can modify the loading system to the M4-6 style. It
> is not
> inexpensive

I just happen to have just had this done by DAG. Price was less than US$300
for M4-6 loading and motor coupling. I wanted this to be able to use my
Rapidwinder, but it also allows the use of the M Motor. One tiny concern is
that I understand the M3 had a brass gear train, which was switched to steel
with the M4-2 and the original M winder. Does anyone out there have any
feedback on how a converted M3 has fared with long-term use of the M Motor?

> You could just get the Leica rapid load kit which works
> great on M2s but you
> have to pull the spool up to reset the M3 counter; not a
> big deal. $25US to
> $80US

I will take five of those $25 kits ;-) All the ones I've seen lately have
gone for $100 (good user) to $150 (w/box, collectible) unfortunately. Makes
DAG's conversion VERY attractive.

>> Annoying rewind knob (add one of those doohickys that
> make it faster - are
>> they still available)
>>

> Yes ($35US I think), Richard Wasserman makes them and his
> email address is
>
> disfromage@aol.com

Richard's lever works a charm, but it sticks up about 1 cm and snags the
inside of my camera bag every time I put it in or take it out. I had one
custom-made years ago that is a bit better (simply because it has a shorter
knob to grab) and Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest.com website has a collection
(many thanks to Tom Abrahamson) of aftermarket add-on rewind knobs. I'd love
to get my hands on one of the fold up types...

>> Later M rewind lever (is this more useful...)

(actually advance lever, I think)

> I actually prefer the M3 style lever as you can get at it
> even with a flash

It is a five-minute job. I believe a current M advance lever is about US$40?
Or, no doubt, CDN$40? It's possible to do this without the proper tools (I
admit to having used wel--padded small Vice Grips a few times) if you have a
real user. You risk scarring the chrome on the retaining ring. Some old Ms
you can do this using your fingertips and some rubber sheeting or masking
tape.

> Me? I prefer the M2...

I'm a big M3 fan, but it's just sentimental. For a day-to-day shooter, I
would have to agree that the M2 load, ease of load conversion, and inclusion
of 35 framing - not to mention the usually lower asking prices - makes it a
better choice. Go for a lever rewind, though (not button).

Steve Patriquen