Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW - Week 4 - Slide One
From: John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:45:17 -0600

on 1/28/02 8:32 AM, Ted Grant at tedgrant@shaw.ca wrote:

> Nothing like the 1/4 second shutter speed to indicate and capture motion in
> walking humans! ;-)
>
> If you go faster, even an 1/8th wont give you that beautiful flow effect
> where you can feel people moving. The higher shutter speeds stop the
> movement and can lead to pictures that look like you screwed-up in using the
> wrong shutter speed.
>
> The reverse is to use too long an exposure and it becomes too surrealistic.
> The 1/4 second rule usually works nicely for both colour and B&W, while
> maintaining an interesting looking effect in the photograph.

I shot 3 frames and 1/4 sec seem perfect as you said. A good balance point
for people/objects that are static and getting the blur form walkers.

> Nit picking:
> I noticed you mentioned a "burn job" in the photo hanging bkgd left as we
> view the scene. May I suggest in the future when something catches "your
> eye" to make the changes before you post, rather than pointing out an error
> of yourself.
>
> Don't forget mon ami, each time one puts their photography before a crowd it
> is a signature of themselves and the quality of their ability. It's much
> better to make the correction than pointing it out to an angry group of
> photo critics. ;-)
>
> I imagine if you were doing this as a client picture you'd have burnt it
> down or PSp'd it out before hand.

My PS talent is non existent. I can barely scan, and adjust levels. When I
try and burn w/ PS it looks like I took a sponge dipped it in some diluted
India ink and wiped it on a print :( If I was in a darkroom I could easily
improve on what I post but right now I'm lacking in PS know how to get even
average results in fixing highs and lows...

Thanks to everyone for comments!
- --
John
Chicago, IL