Subject: [Leica] Rei's new toy (280mm f/4.8 Telyt)
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 28 Jan 2002 12:46:28 -0800

Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspw.com> wrote:

>               the 280mm f4.8 leitz telyt and viso III
>                   a neophyte's first impressions
><SNIP>
>
> http://www.shinozuka-family.com/20020126/
>
> i like the quality of the images, though my framing with this focal length is
> a bit unpracticed.  the out-of-focus rendition in the top photo is pleasing
> to my eye.

This is very typical of this lens.  Excellent b*k*h (my keyboard has the same problems yours has).

> in conclusion, i'm pretty pleased with this optic and the rig in general,
> and it's fun to work with such quality equipment of mid-60's vintage.  not
> bad for under $500, particularly when one considers the outlay included the
> complete viso III and OUBIO coupler in addition to the telyt.

For a neophyte you sure know how to pick 'em.  I've just begun using a 3rd-version 280 f/4.8, with Televit instead of the standard focussing helix.  The lens has a great combination of excellent sharpness with gentle, unobtrusive b*k*h.  There can be flare problems if direct sunlight strikes the front element but if shaded properly it's not an issue.  If you want to do much more hand-held photography with it, consider adding a shoulder stock so you can use slower shutter speeds.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe