Subject: [Leica] Re: Starbucks and Misinformation (severely OT)
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:07:47 -0500

Thanks, Allan, I tried that and came up blank again.

The NYT archive has a rudimentary search engine that only goes back to
1996. So after failing there I searched the NYT in Lexis-Nexis where the
full text archive goes back to 1980. This is the search I did: starbucks
/50 gay! or lesbian! or homosexual! /50 protest! or critic! or boycott!

Zero hits, even when I widened the search.

If  I take out the gay angle, I got 62 hits and if I take out the
protests and boycotts I get a few articles but nothing unfriendly to
Starbucks. I'm afraid I think that if the NYT had reported what you
said, I would have found it by now.

There was one article about a boycott of Starbucks last June after an
African-American man in Seattle was shot by police. There was no gay
angle, but it did talk about how confused the company was because it had
nothing to do with the shooting. That's pretty much the point you were
making. Are you perhaps thinking of that?

Regards

Simon

>Yes, it is surprising, which is why I mentioned it. I read it in a
NYT's
>article, so you might want to do a search at their site.

>On Monday, January 28, 2002, at 10:24 PM, Simon Stevens wrote:

>>> Starbucks has been boycotted and protested against by everyone from
>>> organic farmers to homosexual groups because they have deep pockets.

>> Allan:
>>
>> Of all corporations this surprises me. Do you know which gay groups
and
>> why? I did a quick search on Lexis and could find nothing on this.

No Archive