Subject: Re: [Leica] Taking Photos in Starbucks
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:36:01 EST

In a message dated 1/29/02 5:20:30 AM, Magnessbill@aol.com writes:

<< I've never tried to shoot in Starbucks, but I have several retail clients
that I shoot a lot of POP (point of purchase) material for and I've been
asked to do 'spy' photography of their competitors. I go into a store with my
M's and a 28 & 50 and pretend that I'm shopping- use fast film, guess focus
(don't stand around looking through the viewfinder) move through the store
quickly- I usually have a list of the things my client is interested in- and
keep shooting till aproached by the manager or security, at which point I
leave.

So I've found 'no photography' is a rule at a lot of retailers- because there
are spies!!!!!!

My 2 cents,

Bill >>

I don't doubt there are spies, because after all, when one is lacking
imagination and creativity, rip off your competitor is the battle cry!  But
practically speaking, any customer can be a spy (camera or not), all they
need is an observant nature and the ability to retain information.

Using this approach, maybe starbucks can install brainwave scrubbers which
temporarly stun customers into forgetting the starbucks design and layout of
their stores thus protecting their trademark cafe decor.....oh right, I
forgot, taking a large gulp of their nasty tasting swill should do the trick!

- -kim

ps.  In Santa Cruz there are perhaps more coffee houses per capita than any
place I have ever been.  Many are staffed and populated by artsy types who I
assume would rather change their clothing from the requisite black to pink
than to tell people they can't take photos in their joint.