Subject: Re: [Leica] LTM neg spacing
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:40:48 -0800

At 2:09 PM -0800 1/29/02, Feliciano di Giorgio wrote:
>I recently bought a IIIc and noticed that the spacing between the
>individual frames is a good deal tighter than on my M6. The spacing is
>so tight in fact that I'm worried about clipping in to the frame when
>cutting the neg in to strips. Is there an easy way to adjust this or is
>this something I should have a service person tweak? Or is this just the
>way a LTM puts the frames on to the film?

Regular 35mm shots being 8 sprockets to the frame, this is not an
adjustable thing. You can get uneven spacing which can be adjusted,
but not consistently narrow spacing between frames unless you are
using a lens with its exit pupil very close to the film plane, such
as a Super Angulon. The 15 Heliar does this less, as it is more
retrofocus than the SA. The only other way you can get too narrow a
space between frames is if the film gate is too large. Use a long
focus lens, and then measure the size of the frames. If they are
greater than 36mm wide, the film gate is too big. It's been known to
happen that some people have enlarged the film gate to try to get a
'larger' negative, silly as that seems in the scheme of things.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com