Subject: [Leica] Martin Parr exhibit at the Barbican in London
From: Nathan Wajsman <belgiangator@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 20:37:37 +0000 (GMT)

I am in London today, have free time but it is
pouring. Fortunately, in the Financial Times I read on
the plane there was a review of the Martin Parr
retrospective at the Barbican, and I headed there as
soon as I had checked into my hotel. The retrospective
is huge (1971-now)and genuinely eye-opening. I was
familiar with his colour work (e.g. Think of England)
but it was very interesting to see his early B&W
reportage stuff too. The exhibit is well organised and
there is a very funny electronic version of his
"couples" game--a project he did in the 70s, where he
photographed 9 couples in Manchester (I think)
together, then separately. The game consists of trying
to match the men with the women by guessing who "fits"
together.

A comprehensive catalogue is available for the rather
stiff price of £40, but well worth it.

I highly recommend visiting this exhibition for anyone
passing through London in the next few weeks.

Nathan