Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Nathan's PAW 5: Athens vignettes
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 06:12:41 +0100

Eric wrote:

> One comment in looking at your thumbnails (I wanted to make sure that the
> ones I remembered your showing us were actually from you <grin>), it looks
> like you're crucifying the barber.  There's a cross going right through the
> poor chap's head.  He doesn't look like he's enjoying that very much,
> either.

Yes, I see what you mean. As for his enjoyment, well, he is at work after all...

> >http://www.wajsman.com/2002_5.jpg
>
> I'm having a hard time deciding on a focal point.  It seems like it should
> be the cat, but there isn't enough shadow detail in his face to look at.  If
> it is supposed to be the cat, I'd suggest shooting from his level.  Cat rule
> #1...never look down on them.  They're higher ranked than us, and it is our
> privilege to share their world.  :)

I completely agree with your sentiment on cats and about the need to get low. I
did do that to some degree with this shot, but obviously not low enough--the
street was wet from recent rain, so laying down on the pavement was not an
option... As for the shadow detail in the cat's face, this is the same problem I
have with my own cat--he is light grey but the snout is black, and it is always
difficult to get enough detail.

> >http://www.wajsman.com/2002_5alt2.jpg
>
> This is my favorite from this week.  Captures my attention.  Don't know
> whether the candle is being taken or replaced.  But there's something
> happening, and you captured it.  I like.

Thanks, Eric. The woman is just about to put in the candle. The system in these
churches is that you take a candle, pay with a suitable coin (0.50 or 1 EUR),
light the candle from the big one in the middle, and place it in a vacant
candleholder.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman