Subject: Re: [Leica] Less (equipment) is more
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 17:11:21 -0800

Sam Carleton wrote:
>>> I will grant you that if you desire to capture action shots at the
> Olympics, you are right on the mark, you need to have long fast glass.
> On the other hand, the action is only a very, very small part of
> everything that is happening at the Olympics.  I am sure that someone
> who knows how to shoot with only one lens cound shoot a huge amount of
> film at the Olympics and walk with a lot of saleable images.<<<<

Sam,
The Olympics are all about the "action of the athletes" and high impact
action pictures. yep one can shoot lots of short lens stuff as a "recording
of the people and things." but the Olympics are all about the action of the
athletes.

Trust me my friend been there and done them, Winter & Summer from 1968 to
1992. Including all the Pan American and Commonwealth games since that time
as well.

I've had to shoot short lens stuff as part of the assignment, but frankly
it's generally a waste of film and time as the editors rarely ever use it.
And I'd bet a hundred right now, that the Salt Lake Games are going to be a
photographer's nightmare due to security.

It got bad after Munich, but these games without question will have
photographers peeling photo vests and parkas a dozen times a day with long
glass and film going through scanners everytime they move from one venue to
another or into the Main Press Centre a dozen times a day.

>>I am sure that someone who knows how to shoot with only one lens cound
shoot a huge amount of film at the Olympics and walk with a lot of saleable
images<<<

Not sure what he'd be shooting that was so saleable unless it was views of
flags, shops and outside the venues or the general crowds milling about.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant