Subject: Re: [Leica] The use of tripods
From: Gordon Brown <gordon.r.brown@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 20:00:22 -0700

At Saturday, 2/9/02,  Sam Carleton wrote:

<<How many of you mount your Leica on a tripod?  And how often: 0%, 25%,
50%, 75%, or 95%?>>

About 75%.

Sam's question prompted me to review my collection of Leica manuals.

The 15th edition (1973) includes a chapter on available-light photography
by Bill Pierce.  On page 131 he states: "The tripod is the ultimate
slow-speed aid."  On page 132, Pierce touts the use of the Leitz table-top
tripod and the Leitz ball-and-socket tripod head.

I've used that combination as a chest pod for greater stability with an M3
or M5 and a 90mm Summicron or 135 Elmarit for stage and concert
photography: on stage, in the wings, or from the audience.

The question of tripod use brought to mind a recollection of a student
who'd been tapped as Alfred Eisenstaedt's assistant for a day at the
University of Michigan in 1950. The student marveled that Eisenstaedt was
using a tripod with his Leica, but described the interaction as that of a
waltz. One of the well-known pictures from that Life assignment was a drum
major followed by several children mimicking his movements. I wish I could
remember where I read the student's recollection.

And a final thought about tripods: when the Marchioni brothers--creators of
the Tiltall tripod--were ready to retire, who took over the manufacturing?
Leitz in Rockleigh, New Jersey (source: "The Tiltall Tripod Story," undated
Leitz Rockleigh brochure from the mid 1970s).

Gordon R. Brown
Boulder, Colorado