Subject: [Leica] "Ideal format?"
From: John Amiet <jeapic@operamail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:26:31 +1100

'Ideal Format' to me seems to be a bit of am oxymoron. Other proponents have argued in favour of
standardizing on film size, paper size and so on, but my view is that the SUBJECT should determine the
format. Then, and only then, can you consider selecting a film format to best suit it. And if you do, the paper
won't fit anyway!
So, one way or another cropping becomes inevitable, but so what. Fit the image you see onto the film,
regardless of waste space, unless you are lucky enough to percieve a composition that 'fits' your film. Then,
print your image onto the nearest paper size to your desire and crop the extraneous paper off!
For years I 'forced' my images into 35mm and medium format shapes and then further contorted them onto
'standard' paper, all too often to the detriment of the original image that had no necessary connection to
either size or format.
Only now am I gradually escaping the gravitational pull of conventions, but I still have a long way to go. I do
find that imaging success appears a little closer when I practice (a little harder) the precepts above.

Any agreement/disagreement?

Cheers,
JohnA

John Amiet