Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica PAW 6 Rob Davies (Blackpool)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 06:37:11 -0800

Rob Mellor wrote & showed:
>>> Please find my link to PAW 6, once again I am looking for constructive
> criticism or just any old comments as you feel fit.
> http://www.geocities.com/radmelloruk/
>
> The following are some low light alts i tried while in Blackpool,
> Alt 1 Lamp,
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=569329&size=lg
> > Alt 2 Line of lamps,
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=569331&size=lg
> > Alt 3 The Tower,
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=569333&size=lg
> > Alt 4 Tram
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=569334&size=lg

Hi Rob,
The main aspect of learning for others in your post is with your alt images:
"Look what happens when a photographer works a situation with interesting
light, reflections and content."

Thanks for posting all of these, as they illustrate collectively how one
can, by seeking out and shooting a variation of frames around the same
subject, produce a final frame of a near perfect image, the tram photograph.

In a way I liked  #1 alt for it's pure simplicity when I first saw it. But
it didn't make me say, "Jeesh look at that, isn't that a cool shot."  But a
second and more looks made me change my mind. It is a cool image simply
because of it's simplicity of composition. Think Japanese art form,
simplicity.

However, the Tram is the grabber with it's reflections! And I'd have used
that as the PAW. Maybe a touch off the left side, but that's a minor
nit-pic.

Each frame improves as they go along, so good on you for continuing to shoot
and shoot looking for a better photograph. And that's the way to approach
many situations. But some picture takers think they can expose one frame and
walk away with the all-time great shot, that's rarely the case.

My general reaction to picture taking has always been shoot the obvious
immediately, then do a 360 about the subject looking for light changes,
better angle and all the other variations that occur simply by ............
moving about!

The alts are an excellent set !

Now after all that praise........ your PAW?  Are you ready? ;-(
I see it purely as an exercise in exposure as there really isn't anything
there but someone playing an organ or piano. It's too tight to tell the
viewer where it is, a church? Theatre?   ?  It's not close enough to do one
smashing facial expression shot. Or blurred action of flying fingers
pounding on the key board.

And it leaves me with the thought, as often happens with photographers
because we generally are sensitive / emotional folks, that in shooting this
you were influenced "by the music which inturn made you more sensitive to
the light" but not to the quality of content.

ERGO: You made an exposure which turned out right. Note: an exposure that
turned out right. Not a photograph that turned out right. Don't feel bad,
done that lots of times and as you, still allowed my emotions and feelings
override my choice of picture.

However, please take all the good for your overall post as it's, "Well
done."
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant