Subject: Re: [Leica] Salgado to speak in Seattle Feb 16
From: "Mark Davison" <DAVISON_M@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:50:04 -0800

B. D. Colen wrote in part:

> I don't know why stuff like this makes me crazy, but it does.;-) What
makes

In my book Salgado is a great economist because he has turned from the dry
side of measuring the economy in numbers to the laborious task of
documenting the painful human consequences of economic revolutions. If you
read the stories behind his pictures, included in some of his books as
appendices, he is still being an economist--rooting out the causes for the
suffering and displacement that he witnesses. But I believe he wants us to
see beyond GDP per capita figures. I would say he is practicing economic
photo-journalism.

I only mention that he uses Leicas because that is appropriate for the LUG,
which is formulated around brand enthusiasm.

Those who indulge in Leica use as a form of upper-class conoisseurship may
wish to avoid the Salgado talk--his images will not provide much comfort for
the view that unfettered markets always maximize human happiness.

B. D., You may have read too much irony into my announcement.

Mark Davison